My Favorite Bone Broth Recipe
So, you have been hearing about this magic elixir called bone broth. What exactly is bone broth? Essentially, it is a broth that is cooked with vegetables and bones and simmered for an intensely long time. This breaks down the elements of the bones and vegetables and brings them into the broth, hence the title “bone broth.” In this post, I’m offering you my favorite bone broth recipe.
Firstly, bone broth isn’t a simple stock. It takes somewhat of a craft to create it. Secondly, store-bought brands often contain ingredients such as yeast extract, which is related to MSG. So, the best way to get your hands on bone broth is to make it yourself.
There are many postpartum preparation books out there these days. I have noticed that their recipes often call for exotic or expensive ingredients that are not common in the average American home. I think they are great resources and you can definitely become inspired to plan your postpartum nourishment with these recipes. But do know that ANYONE can make some very simple foods for pregnancy and postpartum. No fancy ingredients required.
Benefits of Bone Broth
What are the benefits of drinking bone broth? According to Precision Nutrition (a website I LOVE for nutritional information), bone broth contains the following elements:
- Collagen: holds together bones, skin, joints, ligaments, and connective tissue. It also contains important amino acids – the building blocks of life!
- Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs): components of cartilage that are helpful in repairing tissue and joints.
- Minerals: calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- Healthy fats
Firstly, you can see that this is a basic nutritional boost that can support pregnancy and postpartum healing. Secondly, the collagen and healthy fats can support health and healing of the soft tissues. This can help support expansion, joint health, and muscle function. Your uterus is a muscle!!! Additionally, the added protein and mineral boost supports healthy blood volume expansion.
How-To: My Favorite Bone Broth Recipe
I prefer to make bone broth in the instant pot when I can. With a large family, I can’t always leave it simmering on the stove for days. I use the large instant pot, so you might need to alter this to fit. This can also be simmered on the stove for 24 hrs.
- Bones from 2 free-range roasted chickens (all bones & remaining carcass with meat removed)
- Assorted vegetables or scraps: carrot, onion, leeks, garlic (about 1-2 cups)
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt
- Herbs and spices of your choosing – I use whatever is around
- 8 cups water
- Place bones in the pot and pack evenly.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Add about 8 cups of water. This part gets tricky. Its difficult to determine the exact amount of water needed. I use about 8 cups. However, you want to just cover the bones. It should look really packed in the water.
- Add ACV and let sit for 15 minutes. This helps extract the nutrients.
- Add salt, herbs, and spices.
- Place lid on the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 4 hours. Allow for natural pressure release. If cooking on the stove, bring to a boil and simmer for 24 hours.
You may need to play with this recipe, but this is my basic broth routine. Also, you can let it cool and store in single serving ziplock bags for easy postpartum nutrition. Your doula can help you prepare this after your baby is here! If you make this, let me know what you think.
If you’re thinking, “This sounds great! Show me more!” then you definitely need to check out my new guide. My Birth Planning Guide is up in the shop. This is THE GUIDE you need to manifest the best birth possible.
Want to learn more about how we can work together? Sign up for my email list to receive the best pregnancy, birth, and baby tips in your email inbox.
ATTENTION PARENTS SEEKING TO BIRTH WITH LOVING AWARENESS AND CALM CONFIDENCE…
If you want to take your relaxation and comfort to the next level in pregnancy and birth, check out my course called the Blissful Birth Mini-Course: 3 Proven Strategies for a Confident, Peaceful, and Powerful Gentle Birth. In this course, I share the exact same strategies I used in my four gentle, ecstatic, loving, and powerful births. Learn strategies for relaxation, increase your comfort and joy in labor, get in touch with your inner desires and your baby, and learn how to birth with peaceful strength and calm confidence.
This course is available right now for $7, but it’s easily worth at least $47. Enroll today!